These regulations govern the submission of all films for consideration for the Dili International Film Festival 2019. All applicants must abide by the following conditions in order for their material to be considered. To ensure quick processing of all submissions, all applicants must carefully consider whether their material meets the following conditions before submission.
The film categories for DIFF 2019 are:
Feature Films (80 minutes or more)
• Documentary Short Films (10 minutes or less)
• Music Video
• Public Service Announcement (PSA)
This year’s festival theme is Take Action! This theme serves to guide judges and inspire film makers in their short film submission. The only category exempt from the thematic guideline is the Feature Film Narrative category. All Short Film categories (and Feature Film Documentaries?) must address the theme Take Action! Take Action! is about positive stories of individuals overcoming challenges peacefully – not fighting, not finding faults, but finding solutions and a way forward. It is the responsibility of the applicant to define and demonstrate how their material addresses this theme, but applicants are reminded that they have a broad creative licence. DIFF reserves the right to deny any Short Films that does not adhere to the thematic guideline for this year’s festival.
Local and International
“Local” filmmakers are individuals who are Timorese citizens. “International” filmmakers are individuals who are not Timorese citizens. DIFF reserves the right to request any supporting documents to validate applicants claims to either category.
2. Submission Deadlines
At the DIFF 2019, there will be four categories for submission: Early Bird Local, Early Bird International, Regular Local and Regular International. To avoid higher fees, applicants are encouraged to submit their material during the Early Bird period.
* Please be aware: only material submitted to the correct category, accompanied by the correct fee, and received by the allocated deadline will be considered. DIFF reserves the right to disqualify a submission and any and all fees paid will be forfeited, should the submission not meet all of these requirements.
FINAL DEADLINE: 1 September 2019
Applicants will pay a fee for their submission in accordance with the film category (Short or Feature), their citizenship and the submission period.
• Payment must be made in US dollars.
• Submission fee is payable through Filmfreeway.
• Material submitted without a payment will not be accepted.
• Any payment made on material that does not satisfy the conditions is non-refundable. All applicants must first consider the validity of their own material before submission.
4. Authorized Use and Inclusion of MaterialsIt is the sole responsibility of the applicant to:
• Secure permission from the participants and rights holders of any and all copyrighted and/or trademarked content – sound, visual, text – within the submitted material;
• And to clear all content of the material from any and all actual or potential legal claims and issues, including without limitation, claims based upon theories of libel, defamation, invasion of privacy, violation of rights of publicity, breach of confidence, breach of confidential relationships and breach of expressed or implied contract such as third-party claim/s.
DIFF will not be held responsible for the inclusion of unauthorized material that has been submitted by the applicant.
Unauthorized material constitutes:
• Any copyrighted and/or trademarked content within or relating to the submitted material, including any content that is or may become the basis of third-party claims for copyright and/or trademark infringement, trademark dilution, or unfair competition;
• Any unauthorized inclusion of content within or relating to the submitted material that is or may be the basis for any third-party claim/s or others.
• Any person or persons who have been filmed without their consent.
Any material that includes unauthorized content as set out above, will not be considered by DIFF. DIFF reserves the right to withdraw any unauthorized film from confirmed programming, in which case any and all fees paid will be forfeited.
All applicants grant the right for DIFF to use part of the applicant’s material for promotional purposes before, during and after the event.
• All submissions must have been completed on or after the 1st of January 2017.
• All submissions must not have been screened publicly before DIFF 2019.
• Films entered into the Short Film category must address the festival theme – Take Action!
• All materials in languages other than English must include English subtitles.
• All submissions must be the applicant’s own, original work.
• HD Quality (minimum 720p) – accepted formats: Mp4, MOV, WMV, 2K DCP.
All applications must be submitted through Film Freeway. “Local” applicants can submit their material in-person, in Dili, Timor-Leste, or through file sharing platforms, such as wetransfer or dropbox. “International” applicants will submit their material online through Filmfreeway.
All categories that receive 3 or more submissions will have a prize awarded to them. Prizes are subject to sponsorship and will be confirmed closer to the festival.
All successful Local Short Film applicants will be awarded six free entry tickets to the screening of their material.
Applicants accept that they will receive no payment for their submitted materials.
8. Successful Submission & Correspondence
Successful “International” applicants will be notified by email no later than 30th August 2019. Successful “Local” applicants will be notified no later than 15.09.2019.
For any further enquires or queries, please contact:
Lena Lenzen, Festival Director